Font Size » Larger | Smaller

There are a number of professionals who can offer support after a concussion:


Occupational Therapists focus on helping you to complete the tasks of daily living .  “Occupation” can include duties at home or at work. They teach strategies or may introduce tools which help you perform tasks.

Physiotherapists tend to your body after an injury, helping you to increase your strength, balance, coordination, and regain function.  They can also help to address physical symptoms such as dizziness.

Athletic Therapists are specialists in the human musculoskeletal system and approach rehabilitation using including manual and movement therapies, targeted exercises, and other techniques.

Sports Medicine Physicians are medical doctors who treat injuries typically related to sport.  They assess and treat injuries, and provide guidance on returning to safe levels of activity.

Physiatrists are medical doctors with specialization in the area of physical medicine and rehabilitation.  They work to restore maximum function lost through injury, illness or disabling conditions.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specializes in diagnosing, treating, and preventing emotional and mental health issues.  A Neuropsychiatrist has further training in how illness or injury to the brain can impact emotions, thoughts and behaviours.

Psychologists have a doctorate in psychology. They can provide assessments of your thinking abilities and identify areas of strength or weakness.  They can also provide recommendations and therapy to help address concerns.

Social Workers and Counsellors provide emotional support and guidance to individuals during periods of difficulty and can teach strategies to help you cope.

Not all services are covered under OHIP or available in your area.  Medical doctors are covered, but only with a referral from your family doctor.  You may be able to access some services such as social work or psychiatry through your doctor’s office as well, or community mental health clinic.  If you have private health insurance, you may have some benefits which will cover visits with other health professionals such as a physiotherapist or psychologist.  Employee Assistance Plans can link counselors to help support you, usually in a time-limited format.

When considering a potential individual to help, it is important to ask a few questions:

  • What training or education do you have in concussion symptom management?
  • How frequently do you seen patients with concussion?
  • What factors do you think are important to consider in treatment?
  • What do I need to do as a patient?
  • Do you have a regulatory body you report to as part of your profession?  Are you a member in good standing?
  • Are you covered under OHIP? What are your fees & how are you paid?